[PD] Error: invalid command name "pd"

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 28 18:08:47 CEST 2013

On 07/28/2013 09:39 AM, Ed Kelly wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what's causing this?
>
> Screenshot enclosed.

Probably an external that does its own messaging.
Probably messaging between the GUI and pd.  See if
you're using any non-Vanilla GUI object classes.

Messages from the gui like "pd audio-properties"
got changed to
"pdsend audio-properties"
with the big GUI code remix awhile back.  This
_breaks_ user patches like yours and requires
you or someone else to go in and make a permanent
change to the source of the "offending" external.
(And then that external will no longer work with old
versions of Pd that expect "pd" instead of "pdsend".

I guess I'll go ahead and say that you should view all
non-Vanilla GUI classes as "expiremental" and "subject
to arbitrary change", because they all use tcl/tk code inside
that will probably break the next time someone separates
more GUI from the core.

-Jonathan