[PD] get dir of current pd

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Tue Jul 30 15:30:35 CEST 2013

Am 30.07.2013 um 13:47 schrieb yvan volochine <yvan.pd at gmail.com>:
> On 17/07/13 15:44, Max wrote:
>> is there something like [ggee/getdir] but for getting the path of the currently running Pd binary?
>
> you mind explaining why you would need that?

off cause: In an attempt to divide two processes in Pd I am currently using [pd~]. This allows for the OS to distribute the load of the sub-process on another core. That way, you can get more performance and fewer clicks depending on what you do. However, as someone has pointed here already, if the sub process stalls, you still might get drop outs eventually, since both processes are tied together with the pipe. The [pd~] approach is my favorite, as it is quite portable (exept for windows).

The alternative to it would be to run two instances and use for example netsend/netreceive and/or the incredible powerful shmem (the later I also use in the [pd~] scenario).

If you are using two separate instances, then you either need to start them manually, create a shell script that does it, or (and this is finally why I was curious to know if there is a way from within Pd to know the path of the binary) launch the second instance from he first instance through a [ggee/shell] or [moonlib/popen].

m.