[PD] get dir of current pd

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 30 23:32:09 CEST 2013

On 07/30/2013 03:40 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Here's how we do it in OpenFrameworks:
> https://github.com/openframeworks/openFrameworks/blob/develop/libs/openFrameworks/utils/ofFileUtils.cpp#L1400

Hm, looking here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7413445/accessing-proc

and here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1023306/finding-current-executables-path-without-proc-self-exe

It looks like a) proc/self/exe is going to be there for almost all (if
not indeed all) modern Linux distros,
and there are methods to get it for the BSDs and OSX.  If someone knows
a Linux setup where Pd
can be used where "proc/self/exe" wouldn't work, let me know.

That's a lot of ifdefs, but we might as well fill out pd_getdirname and
then it's easy to hook in through
[pdinfo].  If nothing else, this would be useful for
debugging/troubleshooting.

That said, launching another Pd from inside Pd this is the wrong
solution to the OP's problem.  That's
kind of the point of [pd~].  Max- Are you experiencing dropouts from the
subprocess stalling, or are you saying you're trying to avoid the
possibility of dropouts.  If it's the latter, then I'm having a hard
time figuring out how two Pds connected through netsend would avoid
dropouts.  Also, what causes the freezes?

-Jonathan