[PD] Reverse Kickstarter Update

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 17:46:54 CEST 2013

On 07/31/2013 11:22 AM, Jamie Bullock wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2013, at 16:11, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com
> <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> When would a user want to change a setting but not "apply"? Surely
>>> you want the actual settings in the backend to always reflect the
>>> current state of the preferences dialog and vice versa.
>>>
>>> best,
>>>
>>> Jamie
>>
>> I think you misunderstand me. Of course the changes should be
>> applied, I'm just saying I thought the "Connect" button label was a
>> little confusing. "Apply" would work as well in this case, but I
>> think something like "Update Connection Settings" etc is more
>> verbose, but also more clear.
>>
>> What I meant by not having an apply button a few posts ago, was that
>> in most Mac apps you don't have a 2 step process to change settings
>> aka change then apply. When you change a setting that's it, it's both
>> changed and updated at the same time. I do agree with Jonathan that,
>> in this case, it makes sense to have a 2 step process. I was mainly
>> pointing out I thought the labeling could be more clear.
>
> Actually, I don't think I expressed myself very well as I was arguing
> the opposite. I think the settings should take effect immediately and
> there shouldn't be an "apply" or "connect" or anything button --- you
> just change a setting and that's it --- done!
>
> Hence my question about when you would want to "not apply" the settings.
>
> I can't find any other application on my Mac that has an "apply"
> button in the audio prefs dialog, and FWIW, in Integra Live we managed
> to create an audio prefs without an apply step, based on Pd using
> IOhannes' [mediasettings] externals, so it's definitely possible.

My question: are all current (and imaginable future) audio APIs able to
handle quick changes to the setttings?  Say, if a user toggles "Use
Callbacks" three times within 500ms and Pd tries to connect to ALSA each
time, does ALSA handle that gracefully?  (Or whatever backend-- I can't
remember if ALSA has that option available atm.)

-Jonathan