[PD] Read from and write to an array at once (?!?)

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Sat Aug 3 18:28:15 CEST 2013

On 03/08/13 17:11, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Well, I just discovered that it was actually possible to read from and
> write to the same array at the same time. I thought it was impossible (i'd
> never even tried, to be honest). So here's my (probably stupid) question :
> is this a feature ?

Yes, it works fine due to the topological sort of the DSP graph into a
DSP chain - but DSP is block-based, so be aware that each block is read
as a whole before it is written - this probably only matters if you
wanted to write to a different location for non-block-sized feedback
effects.  Also you might have little glitchy issues when table length
isn't an exact multiple of the block size.

There are some examples of [tabreceive~]--stuff--[tabsend~] in the docs,
probably in the FFT section of the manual.

A simple looper might be a [tabplay~]--stuff--[tabwrite~] thing with the
tabplay~ and tabwrite~ both triggered from the same source, and
retriggerd by the tabplay~ "done" bang...

> If it is that could probably explain why I didn't find much about loopers
> in Pd, since it is very straightforward.

Claude
--
http://mathr.co.uk