[PD] electro-mechanical piano (player piano) - Arduino, Solenoid Issue

Epic Jefferson jeffreyconcepcion at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 06:36:46 CEST 2013

Hey guys,

updating on this project. I got the pwm shields and i've hit a wall. The
driver circuit I'm using to control the solenoids via arduino is this one
from instructables
(link<http://www.instructables.com/id/Controlling-solenoids-with-arduino/)>)
and
it uses a single pin to control the pwm signal.

The pwm shield (link<http://www.practicalmaker.com/products/arduino-shields/pwm-shield-assembled>)
is
based on the tlc5940 which requires each pin to have it's own ground
instead of a common ground across all drivers. This is a problem because
all of the information i've found suggest that the signal from the pin
controls the gate (transistor - TIP102). But i think, in the case of the
tlc5940, the 5v supply is constant and the ground is being controlled,
that's why it works perfectly for LED's but seems to be ill suited for this
circuit.

Any suggestions on how to modify the instructables circuit for use with the
shields? or would the circuit have to completely change?

www.epicjefferson.com
www.avmachinists.org Puerto Rico based Art Collective/ Non-Profit Org