[PD] How to reduce CPU use on unused subpatches-abstracts?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 7 08:40:29 CEST 2013

On 08/07/13 03:15, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Hmmm...  I was umnder the impression that, except for the overhead of block~
> and switch~ objects, there would be no difference in DSP execution time
> between a patch having lots of subpatches and one with the same amount of
> computation all thrown in one window.  I haven't made any measurements but
> theoreticall at least there shouldn't be any difference.

i once did make measurements, and they showed that your assumption is
correct.

or at least, it showed that it *was* correct at that time. this was on a
P2-400MHz in 1998 or so, where a 16 channel spatialization patch would
eat about 95% of the CPU - regardless of whether you used a single huge
patch or organized the code into subpatches/abstractions.

eventually i went for using abstractions, and let the PC run at 95% for
the 2 weeks show.

those were the times.

fgmasdr
IOhannes