[PD] Benefits of using an external soundcard?

Mario Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 13:28:50 CEST 2013

El 08/08/13 17:50, Charles Z Henry escribió:
> Hi Mario
>
> The number one reason for having an external sound card is noise
> isolation.  The card's proximity to the power supply and motherboard
> are bad for EM noise.  Also, a computer power supply and a good audio
> power supply for recording have much the same relationship--there's
> more noise in switching electronics.
>
> Next, there's the size constraints.  You'd have a hard time adding all
> the connectors for a large number of channels on a card which plugs in
> to your PCI(e) slots.
It's ok, I have a notebook: 1 plug out, 1 plug in.

> Third:  there's not as great a need for bandwidth for audio as there
> is with video.  Video cards need all that PCI(e) bandwidth.  Audio
> doesn't.  It's a relatively small amount of data.  Of course--I think
> USB and firewire really don't have enough bandwidth for good
> scalability, but that's another discussion.
>
> But... what are you doing with it?  You have different requirements
> for recording and for live sound.  Live sound: just do it up.  No one
> will likely notice.
Live sound is my purpose. Mic-in looping-station and multieffects system
(following the steps of Beardyman and his Beardytron_5000). But, sorry
about not understanding your expresion (english is not my native
language).... What do you mean with "just do it up, no one will likely
notice"? Should I buy it or no one will notice the difference? I think
you mean I should...

> If you're planning on recording something on just 2 channels on the
> built-in sound card, keep in mind that your dynamic range will be
> pretty bad, even if you get a good pre-amp in the middle to take the
> most advantage of your range.  You'd much rather have an external
> sound card with some adjustable analog pre-amps in the box.
About the soundcard I post, the Encore 7.1 ENMAB-8CM
(http://www.encore-usa.com/ar/support/ENMAB-8CM)... it's really a china
generic useless card... or it's good for starting? It has no analog pot.

> Chuck

Thanks so much for your time.