[PD] Benefits of using an external soundcard?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 20:59:51 CEST 2013

Hello,

My experience is partly similar to what Charles mentioned: an external
soundcard can be much better in S/R ratio (both Brownian noise of the
preamp and specific frequencies produced by power supply). I would not say
that noise is less noticeable in live performance though - on the contrary:
it is heavily amplified on the pa system, more than in a home environment.
Furthermore, in live performance you need a directional mic and these are
less sensitive than omnidirectional mics, so you need to amplify more and
S/R ratio gets worse.

For this reason I bought myself a nice audio interface which works with
Linux, a Mackie Onyx Blackjack. Not expensive, two channel
mic/line/instrument with phantom, low noise. Later however, I noticed
Panasonic unidirectional electret capsules which can be directly connected
to a built-in computer sound card with mic input. Sensitivity is less than
omnidirectional capsules but better than dynamic or condenser
unidirectional mics. The Panasonic capsule is very sensitive to plosive
mouth noises and initially I thought they were useless. But with good wind
protection (imitation fur) it works nice. The type of this capsule is
WM-55A103. My friend bought them from Digikey but it seems they're out of
stock now, obsolete they say! They can still be found from other sources.

Katja