[PD] "Programming Sound with Pure Data" Book Review

Tony Hillerson tony.hillerson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 04:30:54 CEST 2013

Hello All,

I'm currently writing a book for the Pragmatic Programmers (http://pragprog.com) called "Programming Sound with PureData". It's a book that introduces the reader new to designing sound to PureData, and is geared towards iOS and Android app and game developers who want sound in the apps they're making.

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in tech reviewing the book. That means reading through the book so far (around 5 chapters) and following the examples and then writing up what you think of things so far. I estimate this would take between 4-8 hours over a few days.

This is not an advanced Pd book. Although it covers libpd, it's got more sound design information than "Making Musical Apps", but a lot less than the venerable "Designing Sound". I hope to be able to introduce Pd to a lot of iOS and Android devs who deal with static samples. I also have a chapter on exporting for the web from Pd. The rest covers a lot of synthesis and sound design basics.

If you're interested, just shoot me an email and I can get you in touch with my editor. I'd be really excited to have you as a reviewer. If you can't fit the review into your schedule, no problem. I need a few people, so first come first served.

Thanks for your time,
Tony

--
Tony Hillerson