[PD] Worse performance with -nogui.

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 09:55:15 CEST 2013

Hi Mario,

I think you might be being bitten by this bug, though I'm not 100% sure.

On 15/08/13 05:22, Mario Mey wrote:
> Then, I realized that that noise is there only with -nogui option. Using
> GUI, it sounds great. Is this a known issue?

Some versions of Pd have a bug where the sample rate isn't set correctly
during initialisation before loading patches.  This can cause all kinds
of strange problems (delay lines having the wrong length, externals
crashing...).

A workaround is to load your patches using a loader patch like
[loadbang]-[delay 0]-[;pd -open your-real-patch.pd path/to/patch(
The attached onload.pd provides a more general approach, but needs at
least pd-0.39 (December 2005) to work properly.

As you can see in this test log, Miller's pd 0.41, 0.42, 0.43 have
problems - earlier and later versions seem fine.  I couldn't test any
pd-extended versions (someone with a few versions installed wants to
try?) but pd-l2ork git master is buggy too.

$ ./samplerate~-test.sh ~/opt/pd/*/bin/pd
Pd version 0.38.4
compiled 08:16:18 Aug 15 2013
SR: 44100
 list prepend add
... couldn't create
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'pd'
... you might be able to track this down from the Find menu.
error: inlet: expected '' but got 'pd'
couldn't open MIDI input device 0
couldn't open MIDI output device 0
opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
Pd version 0.39-2
compiled 08:16:43 Aug 15 2013
SR: 44100
SR: 44100
Pd version 0.40-3
compiled 08:17:08 Aug 15 2013
SR: 44100
SR: 44100
Pd version 0.41-4
compiled 08:17:23 Aug 15 2013
SR: 0
SR: 44100
Pd version 0.42-5
compiled 08:17:45 Aug 15 2013
SR: 0
SR: 44100
Pd-0.43.4 ("") compiled 08:18:09 Aug 15 2013
SR: 0
SR: 44100
Pd-0.44.3 ("") compiled 08:20:19 Aug 15 2013
SR: 44100
SR: 44100

Claude
--