[PD] reverse kickstarter update: omgponies

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 22 07:13:06 CEST 2013

Hi list,

I've got some updates to [canvasinfo], [pdinfo], and [classinfo] that I'll put in a demo build either tomorrow or the next day.

I also added a new data structure class with two creators:
[drawimage] - draw an image on a canvas
[drawsprite] - draw a sprite on a canvas

The [drawsprite] object takes the name of a directory containing an image sequence and
loads the images into tcl/tk memory when the object gets created.  A ds float field can then be
associated with that image so that when you change its value it jumps to that image in the
sequence.  I used the code from [drawnumber], so you can even animate the sprite by clicking
and dragging on the image.

Since all the images are preloaded into tcl/tk, animating them is fairly straightforward-- tk just
clears the old image and copies the new one from one of the images it has in memory.

Of course the upshot is fairly obvious-- we can finally have ponies running around inside Pure
Data patches.

E.g., thanks to this:
http://friendshipismagic.smackjeeves.com/comics/1223051/female-pony-base-sprites/

I can now do this:
https://puredata.info/Members/jancsika/omgponies.webm/view

I just added the "realtime code selection" as an afterthought using [cnv] objects.  However, it
would be neat to be able to group code and highlight it programmatically as the data is flowing.

-Jonathan