[PD] [OT] get video stream with pdgst from XIMEA camera

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Aug 22 16:51:48 CEST 2013

On 08/22/13 16:13, Jack wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to get the stream from a XIMEA camera using gstreamer.
> There is an example (in the XIMEA Linux Software Package) that use
> gstreamer to get the stream. This example works fine on Ubuntu 12.04
> (with kernel 3.8) and Ubuntu 13.04.
> But i would like to get the stream with v4l2sink/v4l2src from gstreamer
> with pdgst (or better, from [pix_video] ??? :).
> My skills in C++ are bad and if someone can help me to modify the source
> code (attached, dependencies : GTK+-2 and GStreamer-0.10) to make it
> work only with v4l2src, it would be very nice.

hmm, i'm sure this is really a problem which should be solved by XIMEA:
they ought to provide proper v4l2 drivers, rather than creating their
own framework which will only ever be used by their products, and expect
each application to support their framework (that is: unless they are
willing to pay me so that i can add support for their software)

anyhow, after a quick glance at your sample code it seems that GStreamer
is *not* used to grab the video, but only for displaying it.
the actual grabbing is done in application space via the SDK.
this basically means, that you cannot do it in pdgst.

a rather quick hack would be to change the gstreamer output from
"autovideosink" to "v4l2sink device=/dev/video42" and recompile the
streamViewer.
this should allow [pix_video] to access the video-stream via v4l2.

fgmadrs
IOhannes