[PD] outlet_float crashes on windows

Orm Finnendahl o.finnendahl at inm.mh-freiburg.de
Fri Aug 23 12:24:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

 trying to compile an external for Windows XP I get a very strange
error: pd crashes when calling outlet_float on an external outlet
(even if it isn't connected). The very same code runs well on both OSX
and Linux (same pd version, but has been running there for several
years). Bypassing the outlet_floats by sending to dedicated receivers
in the patch makes everything work as expected without any problems
(which makes it even stranger as it is a pretty involved external with
internal dynamic loading and connection of abstractions communicating
with internal in- and outlets with proxies using outlet_float and such
internally without any issues).

This is my first attempt with supporting Windows and my setup might be
screwed up, so I thought I'd ask on the list whether someone has an
idea how to further investigate into the problem. I'm compiling on a
virtual machine with XP and latest MinGW. I'm linking against a pd.dll
of pd-0.43-44 using all header files from that version as well. The
test is done with a pd of the same version.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about getting a debugger to work
on Windows. (I remember it was already painful to get it working with
inspection and breakpoints on my linux machine).

Below are the relevant code snippets of the external.

Any ideas?

--
Orm

code snippets:

# typedef:

typedef struct _quograph
{
  t_object x_ob;
  t_outlet *x_o0;
  t_float x_currtime;
} t_quograph;

# instantiation/binding:

static void *quograph_new(t_symbol *s)
{
    x->x_o0 = outlet_new(&x->x_ob, &s_list);
}

# calling example:

outlet_float(x->x_o0, x->x_currtime);