[PD] Migrate away from Sourceforge?

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Sat Aug 31 00:46:53 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 29.08.2013 15:53, day five wrote:
> Agree but what alternative do you suggest ?

I just wanted to make the list aware of the problem.

> Perhaps sooner or later monetization is inevitable for all open source
> proyects. What hope is there for "free" software when global currency
> models are rapidly deteriorating. There are always those who would wish
> to capitalize on another's work much like an parasite.

It is one thing to sell free software or make money for distributing it
you did not code yourself, this is absolutely fine behaviour, e.g.
commercial Linux distributions. But using spyware or adware is not an
acceptable behaviour, although it is still compatible with Pd's license.

> Do you think that bitbucket or github are any better ? Who is to say
> that some minutes down the road they will not do the same.

I cannot vouch, that any commercial service will not do the same of
course. Github e.g. stopped supporting downloads of binaries a few
months ago.

It would not be much work to setup mirrors for hosting the code, and in
any event migrate to yet another service, but there are other things to
consider: There is the bug tracker that is hosted by Sourceforge, then
binaries, people and their accounts and access rights, etc.

As I have said before, I just wanted to spark a discussion, I do not
suggest a fix right now.

Best regards,
Thomas

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Thomas Mayer <thomas at residuum.org
> <mailto:thomas at residuum.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Sourceforge's new owner tries to persuade top projects to use a closed
>     source installer that includes spyware / adware:
>
>     http://www.gluster.org/2013/08/how-far-the-once-mighty-sourceforge-has-fallen/
>
>     IMHO this in not a good place to host a true free software project any
>     more. Any thoughts on this?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Thomas
>     --
>     "In an era when everything can be surveiled, all we have left is
>     politeness."
>     (Major Napier in: Neal Stephenson: The Diamond Age)
>     http://www.residuum.org/

"When one's home has a really excellent computer capable of reaching
other computers anywhere in the Galaxy, one scarcely needs to budge."
(Janov Pelorat in: Isaac Asimov - Foundation's Edge)
http://www.residuum.org/