[PD] Migrate away from Sourceforge?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 31 02:30:41 CEST 2013

On 08/30/2013 06:46 PM, Thomas Mayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 29.08.2013 15:53, day five wrote:
>> Agree but what alternative do you suggest ?
> I just wanted to make the list aware of the problem.

Maybe github?

Another point-- isn't Hans working on a decentralized thingy
called Sparkle that's based on git?  Is it possible to "host" Pd
using that?

>> Perhaps sooner or later monetization is inevitable for all open source
>> proyects. What hope is there for "free" software when global currency
>> models are rapidly deteriorating. There are always those who would wish
>> to capitalize on another's work much like an parasite.
> It is one thing to sell free software or make money for distributing it
> you did not code yourself, this is absolutely fine behaviour, e.g.
> commercial Linux distributions. But using spyware or adware is not an
> acceptable behaviour, although it is still compatible with Pd's license.

Well, the first thing to do would seem to be migrate all of Pd svn to
git.

>> Do you think that bitbucket or github are any better ? Who is to say
>> that some minutes down the road they will not do the same.
> I cannot vouch, that any commercial service will not do the same of
> course. Github e.g. stopped supporting downloads of binaries a few
> months ago.
>
> It would not be much work to setup mirrors for hosting the code, and in
> any event migrate to yet another service, but there are other things to
> consider: There is the bug tracker that is hosted by Sourceforge, then
> binaries, people and their accounts and access rights, etc.

bug tracker is certainly an issue and will just take work to migrate it
somewhere.

-Jonathan