[PD] karplus drum?

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 31 07:10:51 CEST 2013

Years and years ago (1996) I made a CSound script, with the control rate set to the same frequency as the audio rate, and used it to generate FM Karplus-Strong. A sine wave modulating a Karplus-Strong string model's frequency.

I swept the modulation frequency through the experiment, while generating regular impulses to pluck the "string" and there were indeed some quite snare-like sounds in the more dissonant carrier/modulator relationships - i.e. where the ratios were more like 32:31 than 5:4. The carrier being the KS string model and the modulator being the sine wave.

If you're doing everything with vd~ then you can emulate this. I think I still have it on one of my hard drives, but I don't know which or where. I'll try to dig out the audio tomorrow...(today? for some reason I am awake at 6am) and possibly even the CSound orc/sco files !?!?!

Cheers,
Ed

Ninja Jamm - a revolutionary new music remix app from Ninja Tune and Seeper, for iPhone and iPad
http://www.ninjajamm.com/

Gemnotes-0.2: Live music notation for Pure Data, now with dynamics!
http://sharktracks.co.uk/

What kind of drum?  For a snare it's just a matter of choosing a low-enough frequency,

    Karplus-Strong and