[PD] Pd <-> Radium

András Murányi muranyia at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 16:38:57 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Kjetil Matheussen
<k.s.matheussen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM, András Murányi <muranyia at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Kjetil Matheussen <
>> k.s.matheussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Slightly inspired by Max for Ableton live, I've added Pd for Radium
>>> (Radium homepage: http://www.notam02.no/~kjetism/radium/)
>>>
>>> Screenshot: http://folk.uio.no/ksvalast/radiumpd.png
>>> Video: http://folk.uio.no/ksvalast/radium_pd.ogv
>>>
>>> It's basically got the same features as Max for Ableton, but I haven't
>>> implemented a modular note control system in Radium yet, so you can't,
>>> for instance, make an arpeggiator in Pd that controls other instruments.
>>> I will implement a modular note control system now though, because
>>> of Pd.
>>>
>>> But at least it's possible to use Pd to make sound effects and soft
>>> synths.
>>>
>>> It's a bit rough yet, so I haven't released anything. You must build
>>> Radium
>>> from source to get it, for now. It probably also only works on Linux.
>>> I haven't tried  to compile on Windows or Osx yet.
>>>
>>> To access pd, I have used libpd, but upgraded it to support several
>>> instances, gui, and pd-extended:  https://github.com/kmatheussen/libpd
>>>

>> Hello Kjetil,
>>
>> This is very interesting, thanks for sharing!
>>
>> When trying to add simple_midi_synth to the graph (? I don't know how you
>> call it), it seems it wants to load libs from the .pdextended settings file
>> even if pd-extended is not installed. When pd-extended is installed, I get
>> this error:
>> Unable to create libpds instance. Error message:
>> "/tmp/libpd_1378125318_83135_1571333196_bs94VC.so: undefined symbol:
>> _ZTI7GemBase".
>>
>> Personally, I wish I could use pd-l2ork from radium but I'm totally
>> unaware if it's pdlib-compatible and if it's possible at all...
>>

> Hi András,
>
> pd-extended is actually included in Radium, but I've only included the
> vanilla objects from the externals directory of it.
> From the error message you get, it seems like Gem should also be installed
> with Radium in order to run correctly.
>
> To solve this problem, though, you should only have to add the path to
> where the Gem externals are installed into ~/.pdextended.
> Alternatively, you could temporarily rename your ~/.pdextended file to
> something else when running radium, to avoid the dependency problem.
> It would also be useful to know the content of your ~/.pdextended file, to
> locate which externals you have that needs Gem.

When renamed .pdextended, the messages I'm getting are these:
no preferences file "/home/muranyia/.pdextended"
Unable to create libpds instance. Error message:
"/tmp/libpd_1378132431_561780_1846930686_cA3Sts.so: undefined symbol:
iemgui_select"

The relevant lines of my .pdextended were these (before renaming):
path1: /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType
path2: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/cyclone
path3: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/iemlib
path4: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/list-abs
path5: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/iemgui
path6: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/jasch_lib
path7: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/maxlib
path8: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/moonlib
path9: /usr/lib/pd-extended/startup
path10: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra/hid
path11: /usr/lib/pd-extended/extra
loadlib1: libdir