[PD] Nettiquette (was Re: Scaling values in pd)

Ed Kelly morph_2016 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 4 01:00:19 CEST 2013

OUCH!

>On 09/03/2013 02:32 AM, IOhannes zmölnig wrote:
>> On 09/02/2013 06:17 PM, hghoyer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in Max/MSP there is an object for simple scaling.
>>>
>>> If you create in MAX these object with this arguments:
>>>
>>> [scale 0 127 0 500] incomming messages from 0 to 127 are automatically
>>> scaled from 0 to 500...
>> honestly i'm of the firm conviction that you should learn how scaling
>> works: it really is only a matter of adding, multiplying, dividing,
>> subtracting - stuff you should heave learned in primary school.
>
>I'm unclear-- are you insulting the user on purpose, or do you
>expect others to be equally insulting to you if you happen to ask
>a question they find trivial?
>

>> as frank pointed out, this should do for you:
>>

>> [/ 127]
>> |
>> [* 500]
>> |

>> if you find it too tedious to do the maths over and over again, you
>> might want to create an abstraction.
>>

>> being able to solve trivial problems like this will surely empower you
>> to solve more complex problems :-)
>
>If you want to help empower people to solve complex problems, start
>by not insulting them when they ask questions on the list.
>
>Best,
>Jonathan

Another heated moment in Pd-list history.

I think it's wise for us to remember that not every noob coming onto the list for the first time has a personal acquaintance with all of us. We're all sometimes a bit casual in our dealings with each other, and for those of us who have met each other in person we've had a chance to measure the aloofness and eccentricity of the other core members of the community.

Remember it's a community!

Love, and peace xx
Ed

PS did I spell netiquette write? :)