[PD] A giant step sideways for Pd on Android

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 16:27:17 CEST 2013

Finally. I was wondering when they'd start supporting MIDI on Android. Now if they could only get the latency to a reasonable level ...

On a related note, I will be putting PdParty on iOS out for testing today or tomorrow (depending on 1 last issue to fix). That makes 2 mobile OS's for pockatable pd gigging! iPad + CCK + powered usb hub = midi in/out. Also, network midi over Wifi.

Sorry it's taken so long since my first tester announcement at the beginning of the summer. Let's just say what I thought would take 1 week ended up at 4+ in the midst of other goings on. In any case I have some gigs coming up, so gotta get going!

Email me if you want to be added to the testers.

On Sep 3, 2013, at 5:38 PM, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Just got MIDI input working in PdDroidParty thanks to Peter Brinkmann's new libpd midi glue code.
>
> This means you can plug a MIDI controller or keyboard into your Android tablet/phone using the OTG cable, and use it to control Pd on the device. Which means yr gigging setup just shrank to pocket size.
>
> Almost certainly bugs.
>
> Have at it!
>
> http://droidparty.net/
>
> Now I must sleep.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris.
>
> PS after you load a patch it's under a menu option.
>
> PPS crashes phones/tablets that don't do USB in (< Android 2.3.4 I think).
>
> PPS I recently found a really good 7" tablet from Shenzen for $US 88 so we are getting down to Raspberry Pi kinds of prices. Email me if you want the link.
> --
> http://mccormick.cx/

--------
Dan Wilcox