[PD] GEM on raspberry pi

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 15:24:49 CEST 2013

I'm curious to know if this works as well.

Judging from the short readme, do the following on the RPI commandline (not tested).

Long story short, you install git & cmake, then get the glshim source from gihub and build it. After that, you need to add the path to the built library files (.so) in the glshim folder so the system knows to look there and load that GL instead of the main system GL in /usr/lib.

The main issue with the RPI is that it doesn't support old school GL, only GLES, so the intermediate mode commands etc don't work. glshim appears to be a wrapper that adds the functionality on ES. It may be a little slower, depending on how they've built it, but it should work ...

#####

cd ~/
mkdir src
cd src

sudo apt-get install git-core cmake

git clone https://github.com/lunixbochs/glshim.git
cd glshim
cmake . -DBCMHOST=1; make GL

echo "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/src/glshim/src/libGL.so.1" >> ~/.bash_profile

#####

... now logout and login
try GEM

If that doesn't work / has problems, then as the readme says, you might need his patched version of glu, sooo:

#####

cd ~/src
git clone git at github.com:lunixbochs/glues.git
git checkout glu
cmake .
make

#####

Then edit the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.bash_profile and add the location of the compiled glues (not sure, there's no info in either repo readme):

#####

leafpad ~/.bash_profile

#####

Find this line (was added earlier):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/src/glshim/src/libGL.so.1

and add a new search path to the glues lib location you just built to it. As I said before, you'll have to find the .so lib files you built in the glues folder to knwo which path to add:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/src/glshim/src/libGL.so.1:$HOME/src/glues/PATH/TO/LIB/SOS

Good luck.

On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:28 AM, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:

> From: Richie Cyngler <glitchpop at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] GEM on raspberry pi
> Date: September 9, 2013 6:20:28 AM EDT
> To: dreamer <dreamer at puikheid.nl>
> Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at>
>

> Thanks dreamer,
>
> I'll see if I can get that to work. Git confuses the hell out of me but the install instructions look pretty clear. Have you tried this? If so does GEM just work once glshim is installed?
>
> cheers
>

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM, dreamer <dreamer at puikheid.nl> wrote:
> Perhaps have a look at glshim: https://github.com/lunixbochs/glshim
>
> Not all GEM functions are working yet, but anyone porting to GL ES could start there.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika
danomatika.com