[PD] modifying Reduzent's [Solenoiduino] to control 44 solenoids (electro-mechanical piano)

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 00:26:22 CEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 21:34 -0400, Epic Jefferson wrote:
> The modified version of the arduino sketch is included in the .zip in
> my first email if you want to have a go at it. i haven't changed
> anything on the pd side. I would rather sacrifice duty cycle
> resolution and be able to control 64 solenoids, than making the entire
> message longer and slowing down the entire system.

I adapted the bitmask stuff in the the Pd patch and the Arduino sketch
so that 6 bits are used for the pin address. This means, the velocity
has now only 256 steps. Check the attachments.

Beware, I wasn't able to actually test the modifications as I currently
don't have an arduino at hand.

> As far as the dropped messages go, I'm sending separate messages by
> packing the data and sending it to a single [trigger $1 $2{ message
> box. I'll try sending separate messages to see if that helps.

I'm not totally sure if I understand you correctly, but this should be
fine, as long as [solenoiduino] receives 'trigger X Y' messages.

The main difference between your version and mine is that yours uses the
Tlc stuff. I don't know how this part behaves if you set and update
twice in a row very quickly. May be this is the culprit? Just a guess, I
can't test here and I don't have a clue what this code does or if it
does something time critical at all. A cheap work-around might be to
rate-limit the messages on the Pd side.

Regarding the handshake: You may skip that all-together if it doesn't
work for you, as it isn't really necessary. I thought it might be a
convenient way check to make sure the hardware has the correct firmware
loaded. To quickly test send 255 to [comport] and see if you get
something back. If so, the problem might be in the [solenoiduino]
abstraction.

Roman