[PD] prevent opening of patches

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sun Sep 22 13:14:04 CEST 2013

> That's useful, but up until recently you had to create a second instance
> of Pd from the command line anyway, since OSX would show you the instance
> you already had if you tried to open it from the operating system.
>
> Or...have I missed the point? My friend and collaborator always needs two
> Pd's, one for Gemnotes and one for audio processing, to play my
> musioc...and we wrote a BASH script to launch the gemnotes one after the
> audio one was set up.

well, personally most times, when developing, I need to create abstractions
and use global variables just to experiment with stuff. And if two
instances of Pd are opened when you don't want it, it can be very annoying.

Even worst scenario when you are teaching, student might open 4 patches at
a time, and as 4 Pd instances are launched, and it's a mess.

I always wondered whether we could have a flag in Pd GUI that set this kind
of configuration. Like, "always open a new Pd instance", "always use one Pd
only"... something like that. imho it would be useful.

cheers,