[PD] [change] bug?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 23 20:45:28 CEST 2013

________________________________
>From: Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
>To: Mario Mey <mariomey at gmail.com>
>Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at>
>Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 12:13 PM
>Subject: Re: [PD] [change] bug?

>that's the way it works alright.

Yes.  It's helpful to know that in Pure Data, an object that takes an optional float argument
typically sets the value to zero if the user doesn't provide an argument.

It's not a requirement: an external author can set the default value to anything they want.
It's just that doing that requires extra work (i.e., manually checking the arguments), whereas
defaulting to zero happens automatically.

Anyway, I think the OP might want [change] to default to NULL-- that is, let the next incoming
value pass no matter what because there isn't a previous value yet.  That could be handy.

You can make your own version of that by first sending a copy of the incoming value through a
spigot:

[spigot 1]

[* -1]

[set $1(

[change]

Then set the right inlet of [spigot] to zero and send the incoming value to your [change]
object, and it will be guaranteed to pass.

-Jonathan