[PD] tanh() or a compressor?

Mario Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 16:21:23 CEST 2013

El 01/10/13 00:54, Brian Fay escribió:
> Are you using a pop filter or windscreen or anything in front of the
> mic? Maybe that could help filter out some of the super-loud plosive
> and fricative sounds.
No beatboxer uses a pop filter or windscreen... unless he/she is at a
recording studio.

> Moving further away from the mic would definitely lower the volume,
> too (the SM58 is a cardioid mic, so it has proximity effect, where
> bass gets emphasized the closer you are to the mic). I guess the
> proximity effect will actually sound pretty nice on the kicks, but it
> also would explain why the peaks are so high.
Yes, the proximity is very important. Unfortunatly, I can't move further
away the mic.

Well, I wrote in DIY2 thread in Forum, because I want to use Hardoff's
compressor and I wanted his opinion, too. Because, after several tests,
I realized that I can't get rid of the first peak of a kick (more or
less, signal = 4). So, I thought about using the compressor with attack
and release at lowest and, inmediatly after that, something like [expr~
(tanh($v1/1.5))*1.5]. So, tanh() "compress" the highest peaks to 1.5,
but it doesn't distort so much the sound.

Can anybody tell me if I am very wrong?
Is the math correct?

As when writting the arrays to disk, Pd has to normalized them to 1, I
can't see really the difference in a sound editor, between the original
and the compressed one.