[PD] Legal restrictions for apps

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 21:33:38 CEST 2013

On 10/04/2013 01:44 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> One (not so minor) note on this... "expr" is copyright IRCAM (hahrokh Yadegari
> was working for IRCAM at the time) and is also included in Max, so it
> might be sbject to agreements between IRCAM and Cycling '74.
>
> I was under the impression it was under GPL, not LGPL.  I just looked and
> saw that, indeed, the LICENSE.txt file says LGPL and the expr source code
> print out "GPL" on startup.  The reason I think it's actually GPL is that
> that is how IRCAM released it -- as part of jMAX, years ago.  The current
> code is based on that original code.  Although it was extensively reworked
> by Shahrokh, I presume the GPL terms under which he was working required him
> to release the result under GPL too.
>
> So for the moment at least, I'm afraid FUD rules.

My vote would be to keep all the original GPL licenses in Pd vanilla's
expr, and to remove the LGPL readme.  GPL was the licensed under
which expr was originally released, so we can reasonably assume all the
copyright holders agreed to that license.

If the consensus was that it should be changed in order to accomodate
Pure Data builds on IOS, then everyone who wants to use expr on IOS
should pool their resources and hire a lawyer to explain what is and
isn't allowed under the LGPL and Apple's TOS.  The lawyer should also
find out if it was indeed possible to change the license to LGPL in light
of what Miller brings up about the original licensing.

That's two unknowns wrt LGPL expr, and they won't be solved by
revising the source nor IANAL discussions.

Best,
Jonathan