[PD] Building externals on OSX

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 03:38:06 CEST 2013

Errr. That's not so easy. You need the 10.5 SDK which you can only get with a *really* old version of Xcode which you probably can't install on anything newer than OSX 10.6. It's possible to put older SDK's themselves into the "right place" but, for something as old as the 10.5 SDK, it may not even work anymore. The only reliabel way to use an old machine with 10.5 or 10.6 and an old version of Xcode, probably Xcode 3.something.

IMHO, at this point, it's best to drop support for PPC for new versions of pd. The *vast vast vast* majority of OSX users have moved on at this point.

On Oct 21, 2013, at 9:12 PM, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:

> From: Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Building externals on OSX
> Date: October 21, 2013 4:20:55 PM EDT
> To: pd-list at iem.at
>

> On 10/21/2013 02:09 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> That sounds like you're building pd/extra from Pd-vanilla.  I never had any
>> luck with that build system.  That's part of the reason why I ripped out extra
>> from Pd-extended and made it a standalone library.  It was much easier to make
>> it work that way.
>
> Figured this one out, too.  It was a problem of building 64 bit binaries-- I just
> ended up building for i386 and the problem went away.
>
> If I'm going to go to the trouble of building for both architectures, then I
> might as well go ahead and build ppc, too.  So the real solution would be
> for me to remove my current xcode setup and read all the stackoverflow
> workarounds telling which older XCode version to setup an environment
> that supports building for ppc.
>
> -Jonathan

--------
Dan Wilcox