[PD] [GEM-dev] Oculus Rift distortion/support

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Sun Oct 27 15:59:39 CET 2013

hello Michael,

i copy this mail to pd list, since it is of generic interest.

but first : did anyone have a working example of oculus rift in GEM?

Rendering on stereo is a nice idea, but as you noticed, in order to "sumarized" all the object it's easier to render in a framebuffer then distord this resulting image.

Ideally, you would use stereo parametter to render in a framebuffer, then render the framebuffer through a shader in the main windows (whitout stereo).
but i dont thing you can do that in Gem.

Here is how i would do it.
2 framebuffer, and an abstraction that render primitive in the 2 framebuffer.
then render this 2 framebuffer in the main windows with a shader, or merge this 2 FB in a 3d one and render this last FB with the shader.

some things need to be adjusted (angle of view of the virtual cam / eyes distance /framebuffer size, etc).
and the shader has to be added...

Cheers