[PD] realtime MIDI on Windows - best practices for efficiency?

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Fri Nov 15 06:06:45 CET 2013

3 things come to my mind spontaneously:

1) use a good sound card with good asio drivers (if you don't do already)
2) raise the latency a little bit
3) eliminate graphical objects like number boxes, sliders, etc.

If you use [mapping/resample] I would suggest adding [change] afterwards to
avoid constant data to be sent or use [speedlim] which does the same thing.

Ingo

 [PD] realtime MIDI on Windows - best practices for efficiency?

I have a big patch I use for realtime manipulation of live sound inputs.
Often when adjusting pots and sliders on a USB MIDI controller, I get audio
dropouts.
I've tried putting all of the MIDI objects in a separate patch running in
another instance of PD, polling the inputs at intervals using
[mapping/resample] to reduce the amount of data being sent, and sending the
data over OSC to the main patch.

I've killed as many other processes as possible.
And I still get dropouts. What could I be doing wrong?
This is 0.43.4-extended on Windows 7.
Thanks,
Joe
--