[PD] spectral mapping, anyone?

peiman khosravi peimankhosravi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 15:07:55 CET 2013

Hello,

Yes, your description of warp is correct.

Partial detection is more tricky because often the energy in 4 or more FFT
bins amounts to one partial. So firstly, you need to derive the partials
from the FFT data, then you need to quantise the partials' frequencies.

One possible cheat would be to trace the loudest FFT-bins and then transfer
their energy to the bins whose frequencies are nearest to the harmonics of
a given fundamental.

If I'm not mistaken, at a sampling rate of 44100 and an FFT size of 4096,
the frequency of bin 10 would be calculated as (44100/4096)*10=107.66. Just
note that only FFT-size/2+1 bins are usable. That's the Nyquist frequency
(half of the sampling frequency). If you take 107.66 as your fundamental
(and zero all the bins below that) then you can do the following:

For each analysis window...
1- Detect the next FFT bin whose magnitude is above a certain threshold
2- Transfer the frequency and amplitude content of this bin to the nearest
harmonic of the fundamental. So for input bin 15 (and a fundamental
frequency of 107.66) this would be bin 20. The bin number to frequency
mapping is linear so it's easy to calculate.

Even, using fiddle~, you can get the fundamental frequency from the input
and have it change dynamically from window to window.

You're likely to get some bubbly artefacts thought, but once you have a
basic working patch you should be able to fine tune it. So you may want to
group the bins so that you transfer not just the energy in one bin but also
the bins around it. You might also want to do some averaging of the
amplitude of 6 windows or so to avoid rapidly changing values, before you
pass the signal into a threshold detector. I can do this in Csound but I'm
not that familiar with how FFT works in PD and I don't have a patch that
does this. If I get the time I might make one next weekend though and post
it here.

*www.peimankhosravi.co.uk <http://www.peimankhosravi.co.uk> || RSS Feed
<http://peimankhosravi.co.uk/miscposts.rss> || Concert News
<http://spectralkimia.wordpress.com/>*