[PD] spectral mapping, anyone?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 20:10:32 CET 2013

well, let me tell you how I did it, I can send some of my last work, but,
as usual, needs some cleaning up and documenting.

But basically I'm using [sigmund~], then getting "tracks" output to use all
the partial information to feed an oscillator bank for resynthesis. This is
pretty much what you can call a phase vocoder, hence you can tweak with it
and mess around with partials.

I also have a patch where you can control the partials individually and
very arbitrarily.

So, for spectral mapping, what I do is I try to map all the harmonic
relationship from partials and "detune" them according to a different
"harmonic series".

It's a lot of work getting all of the data mapped and in order, then apply
the math and stuff. It's also tricky because you need the right tuning of
[sigmund~] to get better results according to the kind of musical audio
signal that is coming through...

Anyway, anyone got a better idea than that?

I think that if you use FFT you will go crazy trying yo get this right, and
I assume that [sigmund~] does work in the best way for this and it is based
on FFT anywy (Am I right?).

Cheers