[PD] sync metronome to recording an audio track

Mario Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 04:12:17 CET 2013

Hi, Ron. I made a Multi-FX Looper Machine (MEH-SYSTEM) with KP3
recording looping style and LOOP-STATION one too (different ways of
recording and looping, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KIj7O_N3gU, in
spanish, sorry)

When checking synching, I realized that, when some sample (previously
recorded) was playing (eg, beatbox), I recorded in another sample bank,
and, when it started to play, it was unsynched. Why? Because of the
playing-when-recording latency and the later-playing latency. How did I
fix it? After recording, it starts playing advanced  some miliseconds
(*): aproximatly the same of your latency. Mine is 14ms (Jack, 128
frames/buffer). How did I know my latency or, better, how many ms I
should add to the playing? (because, depends on the patch, the minimum
latency could be different (less) than the final latency of the patch).
Using latency-meter (from Katja
http://puredata.hurleur.com/viewtopic.php?pid=38375#p38375) and some
testing abstracts with visual arrays and adjustable new latency.

I hope this were usefull for you. If you need something else, just ask!

(*) I use phasor~. Once it is configured to play at specific sample
lenght and velocity, I send 14 (with some math), to start in that place:
advanced.