[PD] creating 1/f function in pd?

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 19:59:05 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM, lucrecio diaz <lucrecio.dias at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi, im new with pd, i working on a project where i need to sonify data
> as a waveform.

Welcome to pd, Lucrecio--some questions: what's the data, and what features
of the data are being mapped into sounds?

> Then I need to measure each set of data using a 1/f function .

If you're synthesizing the sounds, you should be able to predict the 1/f
characteristic.  What's the meaning of extracting the (1/f) exponent?

> 1/f noise  its a famous distribution found in diverse areas.
> The 1/f function measures the difference in the slope of the line of
> closest fit to the data and the hypothesized 1/f curve of that data.

I'm familiar with Stochastic Analysis--Can you share the formulas or  link
to a reference that has them?

> I would like to know if pd is a good option for building this function
> for evaluating data?

It's generally good for any type of numerical problem on signals.  Even if
you're unable to create an implementation with existing classes, you can
write your own perform routines in C.

> or maybe theres already a plug in? or library for making this?
>
> where  to start ? any hint?

 Some years ago, the pd-list had some posts about (1/f) noise synthesis,
rather than analysis.  Search the archives:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/