[PD] [PD-announce] pdp 0.14.1

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Dec 19 15:49:31 CET 2013

On 2013-12-13 20:03, Tom Schouten wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> An update to PDP: http://zwizwa.be/pd/pdp/pdp-0.14.1.tar.gz
>
> 0.14.1: Port SCAF MMX code to x86_64 ABI Revive pdp_opengl (3dp)
> Bugfixes

cool.
esp good to see 3dp back again.

> SCAF (Simple Cellular Automata Forth) is ported to x86_64 ABI.  It
> still uses the old MMX 64bit integer code which makes little sense
> on x86_64, but at least it works.

quick questions: is scaf supposed to work on non-i386/amd64?
i' asking because i have prepared the debian packages, and by default
they will be compiled on a number of non-x86 architectures. if scaf is
known to not work on these platforms, i will have to disable it.

> 3dp mostly works.  Some known issues in corner cases
> (pdp/opengl/doc/examples): - example05.pd : multiple window render
> contexts causes crash

i noticed that i cannot close a 3dp window.
closing the patch will leave the window open, opening another 3dp
patch will crash Pd.

apart from that, here [1] is a collection of patches from the Debian
package, which i think should be applied upstream (they might need to
be applied in the correct order; and i'm trying to leave out the
Debian-specific patches)

- - skip_pd_check.patch
`make install` will fail if there is no `$(prefix)/lib/pd` directory.
i think this is an overly zealous check and should be removed. (e.g.
when building pdp on Debian, pd itself is not installed; however, it
is guaranteed that pd is installed if you install pdp (via the package
manager))

- - 01_destdir.patch
prefix installation targets with $(DESTDIR), to allow sandbox
installations

- - 02_install_extra-pdp.patch
this is probably Debian specific, where i install the entire pdp suite
(binaries, help-patches, abstractions) into
$(prefix)/lib/pd/extra/pdp/, rather than cluttering $(prefix)/lib/pd/extra

- - kfreebsd_hurd.patch
needed to compile pdp on HURD-systems and Debian/kFreeBSD (both are
not "Linux" (as in the kernel), but close enough)

- - fix_typos.patch
replace "unkown" with "unknown".

- - hardening.patch
allow to add extra LDFLAGS to the build-system (used for adding
hardening flags in debian)

- - searchpath_check.patch
this is probably Debian specific (see 02_install_extra-pdp.patch),
where pdp checks at startup whether the pdp-abstractions can be found.

- - help_input.patch
Debian-specific alteration to the [pdp_help_input] abstractions.

- - fix_v4l.patch
for whatever reasons this keeps creeping into pdp: on none of my
systems i have V4L2_CID_HCENTER nor V4L2_CID_VCENTER, so i always have
to remove these ZL_V4L_CTRLs

- - fix_verbosity.patch
moving the pdp/pf-window spits out an endless number of
"ConfigureNotify" messages into the Pd-console. this patch silences that.

- - scaf_configure.patch
scaf/configure.ac misses a few closing quotes.

- - scaf_build.patch
prefix installation targets with $(DESTDIR), to allow sandbox
installations

- - fix_install.patch
when doing a sandbox installation, $(prefx)/bin might not be there; in
this case `install bin/foo $(prefix)/bin` would install "foo" not
within /bin bat *as* /bin, which is not what we want.

fgmasdr
IOhannes

[1]
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/pdp.git;a=tree;f=debian/patches