[PD] GEM causes soung glitches

Luiz Naveda lab.naveda at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 22:34:07 CET 2013

Iohannes,

I am very sad to listen these words from you. I am just trying to point to
a problem that I feel is important: making sound and work with gem causes
glitches in several scenarios. It is a main problem for me and for some
people I know.

I accept that you think I am not a professional as you are and I also
accept that I have all sort of design problems. No problem.

But we have a problem here. I am just trying to wave the priority.

I cant help solving the problem directly. My programming skills are not so
good. But if you want I can do other tasks, try to raise money, I dont
know. How do I start?

I would like to ask you, in a very kind way and very friendly. Try not to
reply posts like that suggesting that I am not professional or etc. It
makes people afraid of contributing. Please, call me anything but let
people express their opinions without being hit by emails like that. I am
saying this waiving a white flag :-) Pleaaaase!

All the best

Luiz

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 2013-12-28 02:56, Luiz Naveda wrote:
> > This workaround doesn't solve the problem. When you have to deal with
> > messages, debugs and all sort of problems in the communication of
> instances
> > it just start the wave of problems.
>
> most likely, you have a serious design problem.
>
>  For newbies working with simple patches
> > it is a frustration. For people working professionally in complex patches
> >  it is a hell.
>
> then you do you have a serious design problem.
>

> > I think it is a annoying, important and bizarre problem for a software
> > aimed at  multimedia computing. The last time I had to deal with this
> > rarely documented problem made me consider switch to other platforms. I
> > wish someone could make it a high priority request for the PD developers.
> >

> the fact that it is a "rarely documented problem" makes me think that
> the priority need not be as high as you suggest.
>
> in the meantime, raise the audio buffer of Pd.
> (and get yourself a decent gfx card with some proprietary (shudder)
> drivers).
>
> having said that, there is certainly loads of things to improve.
>
> since you seem to be "working professionally in complex" scenarios, i
> would like to invite you to help solving the problem (in a way that
> doesn't break everything platform X)
>
> fgmdsr
> IOhannes

Luiz Naveda
- PhD researcher
http://www.ipem.ugent.be/samba
- Director SysMus09
http://www.ipem.ugent.be/sysmus09

IPEM - Institute for Psychoacoustics and Electronic Music
Ghent University
Office: + 32 9 264 4127
Blandijnberg 2
Ghent, B-9000