[PD] GEM causes soung glitches

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Sun Dec 29 04:55:57 CET 2013

I have to fully agree with Iohannes.
I have a huge patch that works perfectly the same with and without GEM
running as a second patch.

However, recently I had to change the hardware and I'm having problems now.
This is neither a problem with GEM nor with the patch.
It's a hardware driver problem. The proprietary ATI drivers were not working
with this mainboard so I used the Ubuntu drivers which are no good - and I
get drop outs much earlier than before.

The more complex the patch gets the more important it is to have a perfectly
working system and hardware.

There is nothing you can fix in GEM if you have bad drivers or a badly
designed patch.

There are already a number of ways to set priorities in the system e.g. by
setting up a low latency or realtime system with the best options, the Pd
startup flags as well as patch design.

Ingo