[PD] GEM causes sound glitches

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Dec 29 10:35:27 CET 2013

On 2013-12-28 22:34, Luiz Naveda wrote:
> I accept that you think I am not a professional as you are and I also
> accept that I have all sort of design problems. No problem.

sorry if it came through like this.
i never wanted to insult you or question your programming skills (i
don't know anything about them, so how am i to judge?).

admittedly i was a bit fed up with an email which was basically saying:
"Pd claims to be a multimedia platform and is far from any professional
standards. please fix this!"
(this reads as if my contributions (as this is what you are mainly
talking about) to Pd do not meet professional standards and/or make Pd
unfit for professional work...which i find slightly insulting myself).

as for "design problems": i really don't think that this was an insult.
design problems creep in everywhere. personally, i have loads of them,
so i find myself redesigning and refactoring things all the time...and i
don't think that this is a bad thing per se. so please accept my terse
comment as a simple: "every now and then you should rethink your design".

as for help: you *can* help solving any problem, even without being an
expert in C++ and multimedia frameworks (dan has pointed out some ways).
this is the way of open source: you don't have to be microsoft or apple
to contribute to problems.

gfrdsa
IOhannes

PS: probably the most constructive remark in my email was "in the
meantime, raise the audio buffer of Pd".
depending on your patch, this *is* likely to solve your problem at least
partially, so you shouldn't just discard it (as being yet another snide
remark in an unfriendly email).