[PD] Mess with Pd installation on Linux

Alexandros Drymonitis adrcki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 12:03:20 CET 2013

I'm a newbie in Linux and have installed Ubuntu 12.04. I have a running Pd
vanilla (0.44-3), but wanting to use jack, I got the latest version
(0.45-4) and recompiled.

My steps for both versions were: extract the downloaded file to my home
directory (I've made a directory there called 'apps'), and cd to that
directory, ./autogen.sh then ./configure --enable-jack (btw, at the end of
configure, there was a JACK....no), then make and sudo make install.
If I type pd in a terminal I get Pd-0.44-3 working fine (without jack). My
question is, how do I get to open Pd-0.45.4? Is pd a symbolic link pointing
at the pd binary? If so, how do I make it point at the newer version? And
where is this link located?

Also, in the beginning I installed Pd-extended but then uninstalled it, and
had some compiling efforts with vanilla that didn't work. Going through my
system, I see that there are some pd files in /usr/bin/, in
/etc/alternatives/, in /usr/share/man/man1, some of which are broken
symbolic links (some from the extended installation), maybe some places
else too...with a proper compilation aren't things supposed to go to
/usr/local/ ? Should I remove any file that's in the directories above?