[PD] Mess with Pd installation on Linux

Alexandros Drymonitis adrcki at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 16:35:37 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> On 2013-12-29 12:03, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> > I'm a newbie in Linux and have installed Ubuntu 12.04. I have a running
> Pd
> > vanilla (0.44-3), but wanting to use jack, I got the latest version
> > (0.45-4) and recompiled.
> >
> > My steps for both versions were: extract the downloaded file to my home
> > directory (I've made a directory there called 'apps'), and cd to that
> > directory, ./autogen.sh then ./configure --enable-jack (btw, at the end
> of
> > configure, there was a JACK....no),
>
> you are probably missing the jack development packages.
> run
> $ sudo aptitude install libjack-jackd2-dev

did it, though my version of jack is 1.9.8, so I guess there will be a
conflict? I reinstalled pd and can open it with the -jack flag, but I get
these errors in the terminal

Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server socket
jackdmp 1.9.8
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Cannot lock down 82241434 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
control device hw:0
control device hw:0
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|3|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 3 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
ALSA: use 3 periods for playback
Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/10)(1: Operation not permitted)
AcquireSelfRealTime error
Cannot lock down 82241434 byte memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
open: /etc/pd/gem.conf: No such file or directory
open: /home/alexandros/.pd/gem.conf: No such file or directory
open: ./gem.conf: No such file or directory

and in the pd console:

JACKerror: Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/5)(1: Operation not
permitted)
JACKerror: JackClient::AcquireSelfRealTime error

when trying the test audio and midi patch I get sound but from my laptop
speakers...

> (alternatively, just install all the packages needed to build the
> puredata package: "sudo aptitude build-depends puredata"; note however
> that the puredata package is built against jack1 (and can be used with
> jack2) - but the development packages of jack1 might conflict with your
> jack2 installation)
>
> > then make and sudo make install.
>
> good.
>
> > If I type pd in a terminal I get Pd-0.44-3 working fine (without jack).
> My
>
> bad.
>
> > question is, how do I get to open Pd-0.45.4? Is pd a symbolic link
> pointing
> > at the pd binary? If so, how do I make it point at the newer version? And
> > where is this link located?
>
> probably you messed with your path.
> after successfully running "make install" the "pd" binary should be
> installed to "/usr/local/bin/pd" (unless you changed that when running
> configure; in any case you should examine the output of "make install",
> as it will show where it installed the files to).
>
> but: when running "pd", your system will search in it's PATH for the
> first "pd" binary it can find.

It appears that all the pd file in /usr/local/ (either lib/ or bin/)were
overwritten by the new installation. If I type pd I get the 0.45-4 version.