[PD] Mess with Pd installation on Linux

Alexandros Drymonitis adrcki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 14:29:10 CET 2013

I've realized that I need to open pd with sudo in order to have it work
with jack (I also have to open jack with sudo in order to use the
firewire). There's still some strange behaviour though. Sometimes pd will
open but without jack. What I get in jack's terminal window when pd can't
see jack is:

JackProcessSync::LockedTimedWait error usec = 426660 err = Connection timed
out
JackEngine::ClientActivate wait error ref = 2 name = pure_data_0
JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

And in the pd console I get:
cannot activate client

Most of the times though, pd will open and it will work fine with jack.
Never the less, these two lines appear in the jack terminal window:

JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 2
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process

and when I close pd (after it has opened with jack) this will appear in
jack's terminal:

JackEngine::XRun: client = pure_data_0 was not run: state = 1
JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

and the following line will be printed seven times:

Cannot write socket fd = 51 err = Broken pipe

I guess I can live with that, but it's a bit strange and it would be nice
if I had the reason this is happening explained..
Just to refresh, I'm on ubuntu 12.04 with pd-0.45-4 and jack 1.9.8
I run this
$ sudo aptitude install libjack-jackd2-dev
tha Iohannes suggested
and followed this
http://jackaudio.org/linux_rt_config
as yvan suggested