[PD] headroom in Pd

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 1 20:03:41 CET 2014

I can see how a filter circuit following a DAC can swing more than the
DAC for example if two successive samples are full-scale, but there's no
way a DAC can output beyond its own full scale except momentarily while
it's settling to a value inside its range.
The scaling has to be done before the DAC.

You just can't reconstruct a clipped signal unless the clipping is very
mild or the signal is very simple, like a sine wave. What if the signal
is +12dBFS white noise?

I meant that if you take 16 bits to be full-scale but you have a 24-bit
DAC you _could_ use the 16 LSBs of the DAC as full scale, then you have
a lot of headroom but your signal to noise ratio is not as good, and
maybe something like this is happening in the default MacOS headphone
driver.

Martin