[PD] Tcl Invalid Command Name Error, using iostream

Esler,Robert Wadhams robert at urbanstew.org
Thu Jan 16 19:09:01 CET 2014

Greetings,

  I've notice quite a bit of discussion about this error, though none in relation to my current discovery.

  I have a custom external that works great w/o errors in Pd-0.45-4 and Pd-extended-42.5, but throws the following error when trying to create it in Pd-extended-43.4.  Sometimes GUI hangs on its creation (never completes the drawing of the object), yet Pd can still function normally with other objects.

(Tcl) INVALID COMMAND NAME: invalid command name "1"
    while executing
"1"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $cmds_from_pd"(Tcl) INVALID COMMAND NAME: invalid command name "1000"
    while executing
"1000"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel #0 $cmds_from_pd"

 If I try to open a patch with the custom external sometimes Pd hangs and I have to Quit, but not always.

 I've tracked it down to functions that are calling std::cout via a C++ class.  Sometimes I forget to comment these out during debugging.  This error doesn't throw on the versions I mentioned above except pd-extended-43.4.  I'm still investigating the GUI hang issue, it might be thread related b/c I was using C++11 threading library during testing, though none of those functions are ever called in the pd instance.

 By the way, I'm using Max OS X 10.8.5.

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, or why this would be the case.  But definitely in the future I will remember to not use the C++ <iostream> in my Pd objects.

Thanks everyone.

Rob