[PD] Compiling Pd in Sabayon

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 22:08:02 CET 2014

On Don, 2014-01-16 at 12:50 +0200, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> Having had some problems with audio drop outs in Ubuntu, I am now
> giving Sabayon 14.01 a try. I'm trying to compile Pd, ./autogen.sh
> seemed to work fine, but when I type ./configure --enable-jack things
> go wrong. At the end of configure I get these messages:
> ./configure: line 15417: syntax error near unexpected token `JACK,'
> ./configure: line 15417: `    PKG_CHECK_MODULES(JACK, jack,
> have_jack=yes, have_jack=no)'
> configure: error: ./configure failed for portaudio

Actually, the configure that failed is the one for portaudio, not the
one for Pd. I _believe_ it should be possible to compile and use Pd
without portaudio. Pd's configure script has a flag --disable-portaudio,
but it seems using it does not suppress the execution of portaudio's
configure script (here on Ubuntu 12.04 with newest git, at least). I'd
try it anyway.

The above error you posted doesn't tell you anything about Pd's jack
support. To see whether Pd's configure found jack you need to look much
further up in the configure output, certainly above a line that says:

=== configuring in portaudio (/some/path/portaudio)

There you should find something like:

checking for jack_set_xrun_callback in -ljack... yes
checking for jack_set_error_function in -ljack... yes

> I checked line 15417 in configure, but doesn't make any sense to me,
> unfortunately..

I don't know why portaudio's configure fails like this on Sabayon.

> plus some other stuff that don't seem write (out of intuition, not
> knowledge or experience) for example:
>
> checking machine/soundcard.h usability... no
> checking machine/soundcard.h presence... no
> checking for machine/soundcard.h... no
> checking for _oss_ioctl in -lossaudio... no

I find the exact same lines in the output of my ./configure and
everything is detected correctly and the resulting binary is working
fine. Those lines do not necessarily indicate a failure.

> I also got lots of warnings when I typed make, like:
> msgfmt --check --tcl --locale=af -d . af.po
> af.po:6: warning: header field 'Language' missing in header

It's only a warning. I'd ignore it. It probably has to do with
localization of some texts (probably menus?)

> Don't know if this helps, the messages from configure are quite a lot,
> I could post them if it's more helpful. I have Jack1 installed

When compiling software that is dependent on other software, it is
usually not enough to install just the binaries of the other software.
You need to also install the so-called headers of those other software.
In Debian, packages delivering the header files have usually the '-dev'
suffix in their name. So for compiling against Jack, you certainly need
to have libjack-jackd2-dev or libjack0.100.0-dev installed. I don't know
about Sabayon. If Sabayon is like Gentoo and all software you use is
compiled on your box, then you might already have the necessary files
installed.

>  (there might be some issues there with memory allocation, but that
> should go to Jack's list, don't know if this influences Pd's
> compilation) and ALSA.
> I've been posting a lot on this Linux and Pd issue of mine lately, but
> I do wanna give this combination a try...sorry if I irritate anyone..

I don't think you do. Certainly not me. If someone has to go on an
odyssey like you, it's good to have it documented somewhere, be it a
mailing list. Something things are getting really cumbersome and you are
most likely not alone experiencing that. You never know what details
might prove useful for someone else.

Roman