[PD] [OT] Pd & Debian (was Re: Compiling Pd in Sabayon)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 20 15:23:03 CET 2014

On 2014-01-20 14:52, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:

> My question is off topic,

since you are actually changing the topic (this is now about debian
rather than sabayon), it's usually a good idea to change the subject
as well (which i just did).
while we are at it: please dot't CC me; i read the Pd-list and will
happily answer there.

> but since you mentioned it I'll write it here. I downloaded a
> liveCD image from
> here<http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/>but

during installation it got stuck at installing the grub boot loader.
> It was unable to install it to any partition of my hard drive (even
> the master boot record). Anyone knows why this happens?

hard to tell.
it might be related to (U)EFI boot: is this a dual boot system with w7
or the like?

> Also, when setting up the partitions, I assigned the free space I
> have for Linux to Ext4. I really don't know if this is what I'm
> supposed to do, but it was the first choice, and it was already
> chosen.

again this is hard to tell from remote.
it *sounds* ok (but then you never know).

> I tried the live image to check how it works on my laptop, but
> there was no Pd installed there (or jack)...

no. usually "puredata" is considered to exotic for a general purpose
OS to be available on a generic liveCD.
but then: the important things to checkout out with a liveCD are
usually within the range, whether the hardware is supported (gfx card,
network card, wifi card; sound card) and you should be able to assess
this even without puredata installed.

> plus this image is 7.2 (i downloaded gnome as I've no idea what's
> the difference between all these)

different desktops for your taste.
personally i prefer xfce, as it is very lightweight (and doesn't get
too much into my way).

 > and on debian's
> main page you can get 7.3.

but these are *stable* releases of Debian!
Debian is huge, and when they talk about *stable* they usually have
24/7 server infrastructure in mind and value stability over actuality:
debian 7.3 is a bugfix release for debian-7, which was released in
2013/05; "bugfix" means that you only get security critical updates,
no chance of having a puredata in there, that was released after this
date.

anyhow, since you most likely don't want to run a 24/7 server system
on your laptop, but instead would like to work with up-to-date
software, you should choose debian/testing ("jessie").

get yourself a "netinst" image of the "Current daily snaphosts" from
[1] (most likely you will want [2]) and a good internet connection.

the default desktop is gnome (but you can choose xfce (or some other)
in the boot-menu).
once the system is up and running, install "puredata":
# aptitude install puredata

fgmasdr
IOhannes

PS: in general it is not an overly good idea to do too much
distribution hopping. if you are not sure, imho the best thing would
be to physically get hold of somebody who is properly familiar with
*their* distribution (whatever that is), and let them help you getting
your system up and running.
esp newbies tend to download each and every distro somebody in some
obscure forum points them to. in this respect, me recommending
"Debian" was counterproductive. sorry for that.
in my last email, i wrote that sabayon is most likely a Debian
descendant anyhow. for the record: i just did a check, and it is
indeed *not* a derivative of ubuntu (and thus debian), but instead it
is derived from gentoo.

PPS: i also said that "debian already comes with puredata-0.45.4".
this was misleading insofar, as "Debian wheezy" (aka "Debian 7 through
7.3"; currently "Debian stable") comes with 0.43.2; it's only "Debian
jessie" (aka "Debian testing") and newer that have Pd-0.45.4.

[1] https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
[2]
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/