[PD] suggestions for spectral "weight" anaylsis

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 14:36:49 CET 2014

Hi - try the dB threshold setting to leave out quiet grains. With
normalization on, that can give you bad results because low level noise
ends up being boosted, making the grain appear "bright". Another problem is
that a fixed window size will always get you audio slices that have mixed
content - with a window size of 93ms, it's pure luck if you get a speech
grain that only contains "aaa". It'll likely have a little "sss" or
something else in it too. So the solution there is to try to parse the
audio based on content, not size. And using single value features (like
brightness), BFCCs, or Bark spectrum, you're fine to compare grains of
various sizes - the length of features like BFCCs/Bark spectrum depends on
the size of the Bark filterbank, not the window size.

About phasing...the worst case is that you end up overlaying the same grain
with itself, but offset a bit. Don't know if that's an issue in your case.
There is the "stutter_protect" option in timbreID to avoid repeated grains
for concatenative synth, but I think you're just doing ordering? Anyway,
it's a major problem with this technique, because the goal is to spit out
sequences of timbrally similar grains. If things are working properly, that
will always produce sequences of grains that have similar waveforms, and if
you overlap similar waveforms, you get phasing/filtering! To be honest,
I've only ever done two things: 1) add low levels of good reverb to smooth
it out. 2) add controls for randomizing the grain size within reasonable
bounds (like 90% - 110% of the window size). That at least varies the
otherwise steady windowing artifacts, which can turn into a very audible
flutter if your output overlap is high.

One other thing to be aware of: if you do the analysis with a high overlap
factor, you're more likely to overlap identical content. So an overlap of 1
is best from that perspective, but then you lose time resolution and end up
with fewer grains. Or, taking things back to the first point above: if you
have good segmentation based on content and not a fixed window size, you're
less likely to have extremely similar waveforms overlap and cause phasing.
With a reasonably small audio source (like your Lucier content), you could
do this manually with labels in Audacity. Takes a lot of patience but I bet
it would make a noticeable difference.

--
William Brent
www.williambrent.com

“Great minds flock together”
Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century

www.conflations.com