[PD] Comma in Textfile Vanilla Solution

me.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 16:50:15 CET 2014

hmmmm.... using your example i get from textfile:

----print--
print: , comma at the beginning
print: comma, right after first word
print: comma in\\, the middle
print: comma at the end\\,
----/print--

i had not noticed before commas in beginning and after first word are
displayed unescaped....
BUT, notice with my console output i get a double "\\" while you get a
single "\"

why might that be so?

i assume you are on 0.45 linux
my system is 0.45 osx 10.9

to answer your question I would rather see a unescaped comma in the console
(without the escaping character)

>> Am I right in thinking it would be desirable if escaping characters
wouldn't be displayed at all?

not at all. but then how to deal with a "desirable" comma?

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 6:08 AM, Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sam, 2014-01-25 at 18:09 -0500, me.grimm wrote:
> > I didnt realize this was a problem until i tried to read a textfile
> > with a comma in it (yes escaped with a \)
> >
> > so "hello\,world;" gives me:
> >

> > hello\\,world
> >

> > now what?
>
> What would you rather expect to see within Pd? Non-escaped commas or
> single-escaped commas? What version of Pd is that?
>
> I made a small test with most recent 0.45 from git and my results are
> somewhat different, though still a bit messy:
>
> ----text--
> \, comma at the beginning;
> comma\, right after first word;
> comma in\, the middle;
> comma at the end\,;
> ----/text---
>
> gives:
>
> ----print--
> print: , comma at the beginning
> print: comma, right after first word
> print: comma in\, the middle
> print: comma at the end\,
> ----/print--
>
> While commas at the beginning or after the first word are displayed
> unescaped, all other commas are shown with escaping character. Is that a
> bug? Am I right in thinking it would be desirable if escaping characters
> wouldn't be displayed at all?
>
> It might be worth to note that feeding those lines to another [textfile]
> leads to a text file identical to the source which might indicate this
> is only a displaying issue.
>
> Roman

m.e.grimm | m.f.a | ed.m.
megrimm at gmail.com