[PD] OSC server to many clients

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 2 19:14:17 CET 2014

On 2014-02-02 11:37, Atte wrote:
> Hi
>
> Basic OSC confusion here: I'd like to run a server that keeps track of
> time and shares that to a number of clients, each of which run on their
> own, but with access to this common, global time.
>
> However all the examples I found with [sendOSC] or [tcpsend] suggests
> that the sender connects to *one* client, which isn't what I want. I'd
> rather like to have the server broadcast to any number of clients that
> can pick up this information if they like.
>
> Have I got OSC all wrong? How to best achieve what I need?

It's not really OSC, more the transport layer. With [udpsend] you can
broadcast or send to a multicast address
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicast_address).
Multicasting may be more efficient as it only sends to clients that
connected to the multicast address. Broadcasts go to every machine on
the subnet. Multicasting is usually more of a pain to get working.

Martin