[PD] Multi-input USB audio into Raspberry Pi

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 15:17:21 CET 2014

FWIW forcing USB 1 mode works for some soundcards, but not for those that require asynchronous communication (my Roland UA-25). I'm glad it works for this device, but most of us are still out in the cold. The RPI has some inherent compromises for the goal of the project (cheap, general purpose computing) but I really wish they had added a dedicated USB controller!

On Feb 3, 2014, at 2:50 AM, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:

> From: Brian Fay <ovaltinevortex at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Multi-input USB audio into Raspberry Pi
> Date: February 3, 2014 at 2:49:54 AM EST
> To: Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com>
> Cc: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at>
>

> In case anyone looks at this thread, I'd better mention that it seems that using CCRMA's distribution fixes my audio problems with the Behringer UCG102.
>
> I had been using the standard "Raspbian" distro when I wrote my comment. I believe that distribution uses a different kernel than Satellite CCRMA, which is optimized more for embedded audio projects.
>
> I had been unable to do duplex audio at 44100hz (had to switch to 32000), but now it seems to work fine (even when running pd with an X11-forwarded GUI). There's no noticeable dropouts at a latency of 10ms, at least in my initial testing!
>
> In order to get this to work, I simply had to change the text of /boot/cmdline.txt to the text politely included in /boot/cmdline-usb1.1-only.txt (thanks, Stanford guys!)
>
> Anyway, just hoping I haven't led anybody astray from the Pi with my earlier (somewhat misinformed) comment. I'd still be a little wary of using devices with more channels or without linux drivers.
>
> -Brian

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika