[PD] Legal restrictions for apps

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 13:27:23 CET 2014

On 05/02/14 21:55, Ed Kelly wrote:
> Hi Dan, Miller et al.
>
> I'm still somewhat confused about the LGPL issues with regarding apps.
>
> Say I make an app that uses LibPd, and include an object or library that is
> licensed with an LGPL license. Would I have to include all source code for
> the app itself, or would it be sufficient to provide object files and source
> code for just the LGPL library I have used?

The whole point of LGPL is to allow using a library with incompatibly licensed
apps, while still keeping copyleft licensing for the library itself.

see the licences for details ...

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html

you do not need to provide sources for the apps using the library (as you do
when distributing an application linked with GPLed libraries). But you do need
to ensure users are free to modify the LGPL library and use their own version
with the app.

Much of the discussion below was prompted by questions about using libraries
with iOS and in particular compatibility with Apples stores. Apple hasn't
allowed either GPL or LGPL software on their app stores, libPd avoided expr etc
to conform with Apple's policies and hence be allowed on Apples app stores.
Changing to LGPL won't change that, Apple does not like copyleft.

Simon