[PD] Is open source better?

Pall Thayer pallthay at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 03:36:37 CET 2014

This is where things enter into the odd world of academia. In all honesty,
I think our application for the particular grant that was available was an
"outlier". The grant came with caveats. Projects were to target technology
that would likely be used by faculty and students and the resulting work
(publications or, in our case, software) would be released under open
licenses. As far as I could tell, ours was the only project that was
producing actual software. We were able to pay the Apple Dev fee for one
year from our funds but our application wasn't ready for distribution
within that time so we never submitted it to the app store and have
released the source code instead. We were never big fans of distributing it
through the app store anyway.

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/02/14 11:53, Pall Thayer wrote:
>
>> I'm giving a presentation this week. In a way, it's a counter argument to
>> recent presentation on Max/MSP. One of the things that I want to highlight
>> is the "open sourceness" of PD. libpd presents a very good argument and
>> I'll be highlighting a project I was involved with that produced an IOS
>> app
>> that used libpd as the audio engine. Is there anything else I should be
>> considering besides the obvious points of open source being open source.
>> Concrete examples of PD's open sourceness trumping proprietary
>> technologies?
>>

> IOs is an odd choice for talking about open source when the only way to
> install such an app in a device (without jailbreaking it or paying the
> developer tithe) is by licensing the binary closed source (on their terms)
> to Apple to distribute via their platform-monopoly app store, which will
> not distribute the sources or GPL or LGPL apps?
>
> Certainly licenses such as libpd's BSD like one do allow reuse of the code
> in any app, open source or otherwise, but then is that use still open
> source???
>

> Simon

Pall Thayer
artist